Established in 1996 to address the needs of poor and vulnerable groups, Neighbours Initiative Alliance(NIA) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) working with pastoral communities in Kenya.
NIA is a pastoralist development organization facilitating community empowerment, mainly through capacity strengthening/ knowledge transfer, influencing and brokering useful linkages.
NIA has an impressive track record and experience in implementing community anchored programs in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Health and Nutrition, Food Security, Governance and Economic Development.
NIA has a well-defined and functional internal organisational structure, which is well connected to community structures – Neighbourhood Committees (NCs) – which are used as the basis of championing community development. Policy and strategic guidance, leadership and oversight is offered by a diverse and competent Board of Directors (BODs). NIA has to date collaborated with a large variety of partners amongst then USAID, BMZ, European Union, SIMAVI, SNV, ILRI, RAIN among others.
- Vision Statement: NIA envisions “A just, liberated and progressive society”.
- Mission Statement: “To support socio-economic wellbeing of marginalized and vulnerable pastoralist communities in Kajiado County through facilitation of improved human conditions, secure livelihoods and influencing.”
Core Values: NIA believes in, and is guided by the following ideals:
- Empowering: We are passionate about strengthening capacities of those we serve and work with. We will support their skills development, access to resources and opportunities and active participation in decision making. We are committed to finding sustainable solutions to poverty.
- Transparent and Accountable: We use strategically and prudently resources entrusted to us to achieve the most impact, with minimal means. We are openly accountable on how the resources at our disposal have been used.
- Social Justice: We believe that all persons deserve access to opportunities. We champion people’s realization of their full potential to lead fulfilling lives and contribute meaningfully to society.
- Mutual Partnerships: We recognize the importance of respectable relationships and mutually beneficial partnerships. We embrace collaborations with like-minded partners, both state and non-state. Those we serve shall come first in everything we do.